Friday, February 12, 2010

Tagalog 101

I really didn't think I had to learn the language before coming but a big lesson would've been helpful. Everyone is capable of speaking English but it is not used all of the time. And I thought being near Michael would help. Not. They still speak to me in Tagalog. Then, I turn to them, smile, act like I understood and smile again. Oh, it is awful. I feel preettty dumb. Joyce and Mario are pretty good while the rest of us look like a bunch of squares. Then, most of the time the people talking to us get the point. I have been taught to say , "English, laang", meaning "English only". This helps a lot. Now, we are kind of getting the hang of it and Paul can now ask for things like "Do you have hot sauce?" or "Can we have the check?" in Tagalog. I can say things like "I would like to have..." and, well, that is about it.

What I have been good at is converting pesos into US dollars. At first I busted the calculator out, then, it hit me. Move the decimal and double it. Mario knew it. He said, "Did you fail math?" Hm, I did, like, 3 times.

BTW, this place is hopping with the snoring orchestra. Everyone is napping but me.

Salamat sa pagbabasa. Tingnan mo bukas.

No comments: